Tuesday, October 28, 2008

CANCER

It's everywhere, all around me.....This is the devasting list of how cancer has sadly touched my life:

1 Friend - Ovarian Cancer
2 Moms at School - Breast Cancer
1 Friend on Tennis Team - Lung Cancer
1 Friend on Tennis Team - Breast Cancer
1 Friend of Friend - Pancreatic Cancer
1 Friend - Pancreatic Cancer
1 Mother - Skin Cancer
1 Mother-in-law - Skin Cancer
1 Friend - Skin Cancer
1 Father - Prostate Cancer
1 Son's Guitar Teacher - Prostate Cancer
3 Friend's Moms - Breast Cancer
2 Friend's of Friend - Breast Cancer
Our Dog - Bladder Cancer

Is there anyone out there who does NOT know someone with cancer? What is happening, what has happened, what did we do? As a child I didn't even know the word, "cancer" - my children think I have cancer every time I get sick. They are afraid to get cancer. Today it's not about "if I get it", it's more "when will I get it"? Is something really being done, or is it too late to undo the damage already done to our environment and our lifestyles? Microwaves, cell phones, computers, pesticides, nuclear power, plastics, etc. common sense tells us they can't be helping. Larger powers say "moderate use" is safe. Larger powers want us to buy their products. Am I the only one who's scared?

7 comments:

Ned said...

My kids are the same way. Little do they know that I had cancer 12 yrs ago. I can't tell them I am a survivor because everyone they know has died from it. I don't want to worry them that what if ...again...

Suburban prep said...

It is frightening. My sister had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and she is 7 yrs out from a bone marrow transplant. My father has had skin cancer. My grandmother had cervical cancer. An uncle on both sides of my family had brain cancer. Another uncle has been living with prostrate cancer. I just so worry. I have DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis). There are times I wonder if things will go wrong with this. I have been living with it for 9 years. I had a friend from work who died of Non-Hodgkins so when my sister was diagnosed I was a bit of a basket case because my sister was stage 4 of a rare type. It was also just at the beginning of my fight with DVT. It seems that when one person in a family has cancer then the whole family comes together to fight this awful thing.
My husband has a cousin who just passed at age 47 of pancreatic cancer..
But look at how far the medical world has come. People are living longer healthier lives. Ned and my sister are proof.

Muffy said...

Terrible. I'm so sorry for all the sadness you are dealing with.

Mc Allen said...

Yes, My mil and now one of my close friends has ben diagnosed. It has touched my life in a profound way. Great post!!! -LA

The Mrs. said...

Wow. That is a ton of people! I know a few but not that many. I think I a more scared of just every day events then cancer. It is freaky though.

Beth Dunn said...

It is so much more prevalent now. I agree. And scary too. I hope we can all stay strong. xo

annechovie said...

It is very sad, isn't it? My favorite aunt just died of brain cancer last month. I am grateful that I don't have it and I hope I never get it. Have a great short week!